Friday, May 18, 2007

This Won't Hurt A Bit, Mr. Mueller...





Scared?


You want scared?


Try listening to the radio one morning while you're talking your kid to school only to hear Charlie Sykes say that he has some "questions" for you later that day.


Welcome to Newsradio 620 WTMJ, Bucko!


I finally got into work Friday morning, for the first time since the events of earlier this week and my daughter's oral surgery. Time to move my stuff from one desk to another on the other side of the building (a cubicle with a corner window view). Time to say goodbye to FM colleagues (even though we'll still see each other in the coffee room and at the snack machines, among other places). Time to shake hands with friends on the AM side who are now co-workers striding toward the same goal.


And, time to chat on the air with Charlie.


Mr. Sykes is a kind, gracious guy with a quick wit, a massive intellect, and an interviewing technique that makes you feel as though your story is the most important, compelling one he's ever heard. I'd be honored if you'd give our conversation a listen:




The new era starts Monday morning. I'm anxious, scared, eager and worried all at once. Sleep won't come easy Sunday night, but it's a good kind of anticipation: the kind that comes with stepping into the unknown alongside such an incredible team of co-workers including John Jagler and the rest of the early crew that makes Wisconsin's Morning News what it is.


You can't believe how flattered I am to be part of it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we've had a few days now for the shock to wear off...

It was very strange having my radio go off at 5am Thursday and knowing that I was not going to hear any of you. It was kind of like the two weeks after Bob left, but much, much worse.

So glad that you are going to continue the blog, and I really look forward to Monday morning when we can hear you on the airwaves again. I'm sure it will be a fun show, but I doubt it will ever approach the craziness that ensued most mornings on KTI. I heard your interview with Charlie, and I think you did great, by the way.

I'll really miss your sound board with all the drop-ins we've come to love over the years (the Ease- scream, and "Bruce?" in particular) I know that was just an old person saying Huh?, but it really sounded like Bruce to my friends and I. Any chance you can bring that with you?

Before I forget again, I want to say THANK YOU, Gene, Gino, Bob, Amy, and Jenna for all the great times over the past quarter-century. I am looking forward to more (if different) good times at TMJ.

Until tomorrow, then :)

P.S. Break a leg!!

dana michelle

Pam said...

Is there a radio in the house?????

It was crazy this morning when I woke up. I always listened to KTI through the receiver by the TV. It isn't hooked up to AM radio. I know I have a boom box somewhere but seems one of the kids must have it somewhere. I showered and then remember the laptop, brought it with me while I got ready and must say.... You knocked 'em dead. From a newtime TMJ listener,
Pam