Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Life Minus Amy--Day Three





My cellphone NEVER buzzes at 5:45 A.M.


Those who know me know where I am--working--and they don't call.


So, when I felt the dull buzz along my pant leg Monday morning I figured I knew who it was.


Amy Taylor.


On a day when most people who'd just gotten off a shift requiring ridiculously early alarm settings would be sleeping in, Amy's calling to say hi and thanks and any number of incredibly nice things about her final day at KTI.


That's the kind of woman she is and why we're happy to have had her as long as we did.


Jenna Mueller is filling in--no relation, by the by--and we're having a blast. Some of you remember her from her days as a reporter on Today's TMJ 4. Like Amy, she left when kids came along, but she'd fill in on occasion when Amy or Gino were gone. She's a natural--a local, who knows the area, blessed with a husband who doesn't mind being the butt of Jenna's on-air jabs.


Thanks to everyone who sent e-mails or who called in, wishing Amy a fond farewell or complementing Jenna for her work over the past few days.


It's been a strange stretch--what with Reitman's retirement last December and now, Amy goin' home. Change doesn't come easy, but it goes down better when you know that people you care about are happy in their new roles: Bob as a man of leisure, Amy as a full time mom. They left a rocky, unstable business of their own accord, which is something very few who do radio can say. Usually, it's crappy ratings, an ownership change, a new program director, or some focus group that determines when you're turning in your key lanyard. I salute anyone who gets out before they're gotten.


Thanks to all of you who've stayed with us through the changes. We're having nothing but fun with Jenna, on the air and when the mikes are off. We hope she feels the same, and that the listeners are liking what they hear.


No matter what--good or bad--I want you to tell me about it. Drop a comment here, or you can reach me at mueller@wkti.com.

3 comments:

QB said...

I for one loved listening to Amy Taylor's great sense of humor and her real life radio persona. Jenna is equally cool. Has anyone else noticed that they sound a lot alike? Perhaps in the future they could job share; both are able to jump right in without missing a beat.
One thought, sometimes there are so many people on air, it's hard to keep track of the conversation and drive at the same time, especially when things get interesting and everyone is talking, and traffic is going 80mph. Sometimes it can be a bit much. Perhaps I'm just getting old. Either way, keep up the good work.
PS I enjoy reading your blogs everyday. You and Lips are interesting as well as thought provoking and entertaining. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Anonymous said...

I've been lurking on your blog long enough, time to comment. I'm a lo-o-o-ng time listener of what started as the Reitman and Mueller show. I even did Hot-Dish once, so that should give my opinion some leverage, right? Is that a no?

When Amy used to come over from the TV side to play on the radio, I always thought it would be fun if she'd join the show full time. Then she did, and it was fabulous. Amy is a one-of-a-kind original; the perfect combination of dignity and debauchery. (Amy, if you happen to read this, I can assure you that that is a compliment ;-} ) I just loved that someone with her intelligence, class and looks could also be so earthy and hysterically funny. It was hard to accept that she was leaving and breaking up the old gang even further.

When I allowed myself to consider someone actually *gasp* replacing Amy's spot, I thought that the only person that could come close to filling that on-air chemistry gap would be Jenna Mueller. I was hoping she might be in the running and was thrilled to hear that she'd be filling in "indefinitely". I am really hoping that turns into permanently.

So, if you're looking for feedback, you can mark mine as positive. Jenna's personality mirrors Amy's pretty closely; smart, sassy and funny as hell. I think she's the ideal candidate.

Before leaving, as long as I'm finally commenting, I have to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. After listening to you on the radio for nearly 25 years, it's been really interesting to discover what a talented journalist you are. Your subjects are thought provoking and the writing is top-notch. Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

I have listened to you for over 20 years. Sometimes I would look at other cars to see if anyone saw me craking up at what was going on. I loved Amy and really miss her... BUT Jenna is great and so was the story about getting the baby to sleep. I just found out today I can listen on my computer at work... I'm getting myself headphones. Thanks for a great time.