Thursday, May 17, 2007

Perspective...

Everyone knows of the professional changes involving myself and those around me. Many of you have made a reach-out either via phone or by e-mail, and I appreciate each and every one. I've tried to answer as many as I can, but there's something else going on in my life that has my attention. It's not about cleaning out one desk and moving into another, or making sure my new computer at work is up and running.

It's my kids.

My daughter came home from college last week and got wheeled into an operating room hours after I said my professional hello's and goodbye's Tuesday morning. Nothing life-threatening, but anytime your kid leaves you on a hospital cart surrounded by folks in caps and gowns, it's a little unnerving.

She underwent scheduled oral surgery--six hours worth, as we try to undo the effects of a birth condition that left her with a bunch of missing teeth. She's recovering as we speak and should be home Friday, leaving me at the blender to hone by skills at malts and smoothies until her snags are up to my pork chops on the grill again.

Then there's my son--this was to be his big week, with a couple of solos and featured parts in his spring choral concert at Marquette High. Mom and I were to be in the crowd that same night, but all he got was me in the seats as my wife stayed at my daughter's side as she came out of the recovery room. He hit every note, and never bitched a bit about not getting the full treatment.

Perspective.

Tons of things may be going on in your life and you may think you're all that and the proverbial bag of Ripples. You may see your name in headlines, you might be all excited about personal prospects and professional accolades.

What matters is your kid coming out of surgery all pink, healthy, and intact.

What matters is your child on stage, reaching personal goals and conquering fears.

In the end, you are...well, you're dad. That's the job that counts. It won't get you in the paper if you do it right, but the rewards exceed any paycheck.

That stays the same, no matter what call letters are at the top of your blog.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gene,

I've always sensed by the way you talk about your family that you're a great husband and dad (with those occasional quirks...)

Hope your daughter starts to feel better. I enjoy reading your blog, but I think everyone would agree, we'd all understand if you need to focus your energy elswhere right now.

Have a good weekend!

babar41 said...

Gene... There is nothing like having something going on with a child to help put the world in perspective. Your daughter is in my prayers for a speedy recovery and congratulations to your son for nailing his solo!

I, like so many many others, am very sorry for the work trauma of this past week. I am glad you are landing on your feet and will on Monday pop over to 620 AM. Needless to say I am in the market for a new radio station.

For the past several years you, along with Gino, have helped wake me up in the morning and put a smile on my face. You have kept me up with the news, given me something to think about the rest of the day, and upon a few occasions had me spit coffee out with your humor.

Thank you for continuing your blog. And if you see or speak to Gino, please ask him to do the same. It's your guys fault you made so many of us care about you!

Anonymous said...

Prayers are with your family.
Good luck on the AM side.
Please give us listeners Gino's blog address so we can contact him also.

angela marie said...

But it may get you in the paper if you do it WRONG.

Congrats on having the perspective adjusted correctly. Oh, and try to get that perfect mix of hot fudge in the malt, okay? Or just get over to Kopp's, they do it perfectly!

Anonymous said...

I will miss you and Gino, John Jurkovich, Julia Sweeney, Joe Queenin and the long cast of characters.

I hope some day I am lucky enough to run into you at a local watering hole so that I can buy you a beer. Listening to you was like listening to a conversation had by my own family.

Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about the trials that your family is going through. You know, family always comes first...you and your wife are where you need to be and we will all understand. As a previous writer indicated, you (and Gino) made us feel like family. And we support you (you're paying your own way though!).
Your family is in our prayers...If you need a pair of rose colored glasses you can always borrow a pair of mine!.
We are grateful that you are still in the local market...we'll be listening.

Anonymous said...

Gene,

This is why we love you and always will. Thanks for sharing your life. We'll miss you on 'KTI, but will hopefully still get the real you on 'TMJ.

Hope your daughter's feeling better soon. Congrats to your son!