Monday, April 16, 2007

A Father, His Son, And Their Connection To History

It was a turkey club sandwich and a bowl of clam chowder that brought me and Ron Rabinovitz together. And now, I don't want to stop talking to him.



It was lunchtime Friday, and I knew the cupboard at home was bare. I had an itch for a turkey club and a bowl of chowder plus the companionship that comes from being alone with a newspaper. I found both at an eatery on my side of town, ordering up my grub and grabbing a copy of USA Today.



There, on page one of the sports section, was Ron.










He's not an athlete, or an agent, or an owner. We share two things: a hometown (Sheboygan) and a passion for baseball.



Ron, though, is so much more.



Ron was a childhood pen-pal of the legendary Jackie Robinson--a relationship that sprouted over the years, lasting until Robinson's death in 1972. Here's the story, as told to USA Today's Bob Nightengale:



http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2007-04-12-robinson-letters_N.htm?csp=34


I was lucky enough to be co-hosting a sports talk show on our sister station, WTMJ, Sunday morning with my newsbud, John Jagler. I figured Ron would make a good guest, and gave him a cold-call Saturday night to see if he would take part.

We ended up talking for about 20 minutes--about Sheboygan, our childhoods, and baseball. I could've gone an hour with him but had to be on my way. Plus, I didn't want to leave the interview "on the phone"--I wanted there to be something fresh and new to talk about on the air.

No worries.

Ron proved to be one of the best guests I've ever had a chance to talk to--it doesn't matter if you don't know a baseball from a tuna can, because his story is so compelling. It speaks of a time gone by, when athletes connected with fans, and, sadly, when old prejudices still had to be fought. It speaks volumes of both Jackie Robinson and of Ron's father, David, who gave his boy the ultimate life lesson.

Listen in to our chat as it aired April 15, 2007: the 60th anniversary of Robinson's first big-league game.

http://podcast.wkti.com/DesktopModules/Orizonti_NukeNews/getLink.aspx?pid=22&tid=837&newsid=13368

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great interview!