Saturday, April 14, 2007

And Then, There Were Two...





I wonder what Reitman's doing?


Just kidding.


Bob is enjoying a well-deserved life after radio, and soon another one of my partners, Amy Taylor, will be joining him.


Amy announced yesterday that she's leaving WKTI to become a full-time mom, wife and daughter. She has triplets, a husband and parents that all need tending to, and I salute her for doing what she believes is best for all concerned.


And, I hope others will understand, too. We've all felt the tug--male and female alike. When you're working, you feel as though you should be tending to the family. When you're home, you're thinking about the job.


I've known people of both genders who got grief for choosing family over office--I'm guessing the folks dishing it out weren't secure enough in their own choices to be happy for someone who might've made a different call. Or, maybe they're just plain jealous. I think life is best lived letting others make their choices, with others extending the same courtesy to us.


I can only speak for myself when I say I couldn't be happier for Amy as she prepares for life after broadcasting. She's a colossal journalist, a great radio companion, and a close personal friend. I'll miss what we shared on the air, and I'll also long for those chats we had when the mikes were off and we matched notes on news, life, kids, food, and anything else we'd put in our cross hairs.


People talk, and I'm sure there's plenty of chatter out there about what's going to happen next at the radio station--trust me, NO ONE loves to gossip more than people in the broadcasting business. There are three ways to spread a rumor: telephone, telegraph and tell-a-radio person.


Those coming here today looking for some sort of insight into the future will go away wanting. This isn't the time to talk about "the next Amy Taylor". I choose to use the next two weeks to savor what is one of the more uniquely talented, smart, funny, informed radio personalities to ever grace Milwaukee television and radio. And, to celebrate the brave choice Amy made in leaving a lucrative career to handle life's most important jobs: wife, mother and daughter.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lucky Amy is to be able to make that decision! I know the saying is correct -- at then end of one's life, no one ever regrets having spent too little time at work -- but rather too little time at home. Here's hoping you enjoy your last two weeks as a team.

Anonymous said...

Oh Gene you are so right.
I have loved listening and watching Amy.
There will neve be another like her.
I hope one day that her girls will see what a great mom they have.
Wanting to spend so much time with them and seeing them grow.
AMY GOOD LUCK AND ALL THE BEST.
I will miss you