Sunday, March 18, 2007

So, How Did YOU Sleep Last Night?


Steven Avery's lawyers say Theresa Halbach's killer is still out there.

Most of Milwaukee apparently doesn't agree.

As I drive to work this morning at around two a.m., just eight hours or so since a jury found Avery guilty in connection with Halbach's slaying, I'm seeing nothing but dark houses in my suburban cul de sac. More of the same as I head toward I-43 for the ride into town. Nothing but lights out in almost every home that lines the interstate, and in the neighborhoods beyond.

It would seem my little chunk of southeast Wisconsin, just an hour and change from the spot where Ms. Halbach's final, horrible moments played out, is sleeping quite comfortably this morning, believing justice is done and a murderer is behind bars. No one is peeking through their curtains, shotgun in hand, waiting for the same monster to show up on their doorstep.

I wonder, too, how others are sleeping. Those I can't see...didn't drive past.


I wonder if Avery's defense team is resting well. I hold nothing against them for doing their jobs as officers of the court--they are charged with trying to get the best possible outcome for their client. But did they have to do it by sliming Manitowoc County authorities? By drumming up the conspiracy/frame-up theory that was the centerpiece of their argument for Avery's innocence? By calling into question the integrity of law enforcement officers who put their lives on the line for us every day--without offering even the slightest SHRED of evidence to prove their far-fetched hypothesis?

How, indeed, did THEY sleep?

And, you have to wonder what it's like in a certain Manitowoc County jail cell--the one where Avery is being held, pending sentencing. How does one rest after being accused, then convicted, of such a heinous crime? When your life's prospects include nothing but a future filled with jail cells and appeals? Does he dream of another Courtroom Hail Mary? It happened once, when judicial advocates found the DNA evidence that sprung him from prison on a sexual assault rap after 18 years. It would seem that's only a dream, too, since the same technology that freed him not so long ago helped seal his fate in the Halbach case Sunday night.

And, allowed those in these parts to get a good night's sleep this morning.

2 comments:

angela marie said...

I slept just fine. I only hope that Teresa's family can rest. I think that since the terrible days since her death, there has been little time for them to truly grieve. That is all coming for them. I wish them well.

Cindy Huber said...

As usual Gene, you are right on...i too wondered if Avery's attorneys would have slept as well if they had actually freed this monster, who embolded after being freed a second time, would actually try to do it again.

Or would their killer had taken up golf with OJ Simpson in between his "search for the real killers."

I often wondered what people who sold their souls to satan for money looked like...thanks to Avery's attorneys i now have my answer...and no i don't think i'm being too harsh at all...i just think the whole thing is sick!