Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Good Thing This Only Happens Every Two Years





Seizures.

Toileting monkeys.



That's what THIS little bit o' art is triggering in London.





Olympic organizers pull part of a website featuring the new 2012 logo after some viewers reported medical issues when watching some of the footage online.

Then, there's the buying public--the folks who'll have to wear this thing on the shirts, jackets and other swag they'd buy at the 2012 games.

I've been at several games, both winter and summer. I've seen good, and I've seen bad.

London's logo: bad.

Barcelona's mascot: worse.





What the hell is Cobi? It's been 15 years since they trotted his bare ass out, and I still haven't figured it out.


Then, there's Atlanta's "Izzy", as in, "What the hell IS HE?"





I didn't get to go to the 2004 Summer Games in Athens, and after seeing the mascots I'm glad I stayed home.





Seizures? No.
Toileting monkeys? Naw.
The gag reflex? Definitely.
Gathering the finest athletes in the world every two years is a noble venture--one that renews us as a globe, as a civilization.
Maybe someone on this blue and green rock can finally come up with an Olympic logo we can all rally around without controversy. The five rings still work for me.
Or, maybe we could hand an eight year old a box of Crayolas and let 'em have at it.
They couldn't do worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm not looking at it correctly, but try as I might, I can not see a "toileting monkey" in that (really ugly!) logo.

P.S. I am getting used to my new early morning radio home on 620-WTMJ. You and Jagler fit well together, and I really enjoy the show.

But I still miss Gino :(